Monday, February 6, 2012

Before I die....

More and more, you hear people talking about what is on their "bucket list." You hear it more in my generation, ironically enough. The Baby Boomer generation, while ambitious, has a different perception of success more related to possessions than experiences. Generation X is a bit more practical, focusing on having enough, good investments, and a safety net for hard times. I am part of Generation Y. We were brought up my dreams, imagination, fiction, and Disney. We were told we could be whatever we wanted to be. Put into practice, fantasy crumbles in the real world...but not entirely. We can still pocket amazing experiences that makes us feel like the dream can be reality.

Some people have many things in common on their bucket list, such as marriage, children, world travel, owning a dream house, etc. These goals are no different than our previous generations. My generation has personalized their lists a bit more. Go to bucketlist.org/featured and you will read goals that inspire you, and some that you think are strange such as:
Be an extra in a movie, milk a cow, visit the Louvre, plant a tree, see a Cirque de Soleil show, drink absinthe, fly first class, visit every continent, visit New York City at Christmas time!, experience an earthquake, eat sushi in Japan, go snorkeling, be part of a Flash Mob, rescue a dog/cat from animal shelter, visit San Fransico, go Scuba Diving, pay for a strangers groceries, cross the intersection at Abbey Road, nnuggle in a hammock, see the Grand Canyon, see a Broadway musical, go whale watching, capture lightning in a photograph, spend the night in an underwater hotel, be kissed on top of a ferris wheel.

I have a lengthy bucket list. Many things on it, I have already done. I have traveled to 5 countries outside the U.S. I've been on a cruise. I've seen most states (I'd like to see the rest). I've been skydiving. I had my dream wedding.  I am learning to play the violin. I've had my dream jobs (education, living history museum, and now translation). But I still have so much left to do. The things I lack, however, don't bother me. Because I know I'm doing all I can to make the most of my life *right now.* I am incredibly happy. If I died now, I'd feel okay that I lived a wonderful life. If I continue to live, I will feel elated to get to spend more time on this earth and have even more wonderful experiences.

So what is the first step? Make a list. Second step? Don't focus on what you lack. Focus on what you've acheived. Every day you get to live, be happy you have another chance to mark somethiing off the list, but don't let it bother you if you haven't yet. Be happy here and now.Comment to tell me a few things on your bucket list.



 Last week, I went to Louisville to celebrate my aunt's and my uncle's birthdays, and I made them some coasters! That is the Project of the Day. If you read a few entries ago and saw the baby blanket, it's made just like that, only wayyyyyyyyyy smaller. If you already knit, then just cast on 4, increase to 23, then decrease back down to 4. If you are more of a beginner than that, or need more instructions, comment and I'll elaborate.



My coasters

No comments:

Post a Comment