Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Blog

I am going to reiterate the purpose of my blog.  I talk about practical living for modern women, but taking advice from all previous time periods as well as our current one. 

New Years Resolutions...a lot of people feel as though this concept is overdone. It's almost annoying...no one keeps their resolutions, so why make them? It may irk you that I'm simply talking about them. Well, first of all, everyone is free to talk about whatever they want. Second of all, it's good to have goals. If we didn't have the tradition of New Years Resolutions, someone would have to invent them. We know why. We're already thinking about our lives in terms of what we did and did not do at the end of an old year anyway. A new year truly is a new beginning. It isn't the only new beginning in the year...but it's the first. I don't like talking to people out loud about my resolutions, but somehow I don't mind putting anything into writing. Now that you respect my decision to make a resolution, here are a few of mine:

1.) I'd like to start a business in the near future with handcrafted items. I am going to spend this year building my inventory.
2.) I am going to truly get this blog started by posting at least two or three times a week!
3.) I'm going to start saving/making things for Christmas now.
4.) Yes, I must put on here weight loss, but so must we all after holiday food. I lost 20 whole pounds last year as a result of a resolution, and now I just need to get off the extra 5 holiday pounds...should be easier.
5.) Do not buy clothes for one full year. (I don't buy that many now, so this won't be difficult, I have way more than I need).

But I would also like to say, let us make sure whenever we make resolutions, we also remember accomplishments, cause otherwise you'll end up focusing on all the things you're not doing instead of the things you have done.

In 2011, I....

Lost 20 pounds
Went on trips to St. Louis, Daytona and St. Augustine, FL, places in Georgia, Ohio, Indiana, and a houseboat trip on Lake Cumberland.
Did the thing I've been dreading for years....the GRE'S! And I got a pretty decent score!
Got into grad school towards an M.A. in History (which I begin in 2012).
Worked a dream job at the Homeplace Living History Museum, and when that came to an end, I got a different dream job as a translator for the public schools!
Celebrated one year with the most amazing man I've ever known, my loving, sweet husband, Zachary!

My project of the day is a really easy one I've been working on, especially with my new sewing machine I got for Christmas: turn a pair of pants into a skirt. Cut your pants below the knee, the cut along the inner seam of the pants around until they are totally open. Turn the pants inside out and pin the inner seams together on both sides. Then fold the bottom up and pin it in order to make a hem. At this point you may want to try it on to make sure it looks alright, then work out the kinks. Sew the inner seam together either by hand or on a machine, making sure you leave your 1/4 inch seam allowance. Finish by sewing down the hem either by hand or machine. Voila! I've made two out of khaki pants and they're nice enough to wear to work.
Ladies take heed, skirts are superior to pants for the purposes of feminine hygiene, but more to come on that topic later.


This is the skirt that I made for today's Project of the Day!  I intend to wear it to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment